The Davis Cemetery District is recruiting for a Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent.
Located on Pole Line Road in east Davis, the Davis Cemetery District is a community tradition of historic natural beauty since 1855 to honor and remember loved ones. The District serves all faith and cultures and offers a wide range of options for memorialization. Designated as an arboretum in 2012, this 28-acre oasis offers green burials, standard and titan sealed liner burials, cremation plots, niche internments, and scattering gardens.
The Davis Cemetery District is an independent special district funded by city property taxes and the sale of interment rights, along with other miscellaneous fees. It is governed by a five-member Board of Trustees appointed by the Yolo County Board of Supervisors. Employees participate in CalPERS, the California Public Employees Retirement System, for health and retirement benefits.
· To strengthen the cemetery as an inviting space for remembrance, contemplation, and healing.
· To enhance the cemetery’s ability to memorialize the history of Davis, its people, and the original Central Valley landscape through art, architecture and design.
· To maintain the Davis Cemetery District as a center of local history, celebrating the diverse cultural heritage of the people of Davis.
· To create an attractive environment that will encourage people to come and enjoy art, nature, and civic history.
· To enhance the existing ecological function of the cemetery as an open green space and a sanctuary for native plant and animal life.
· To reduce the use of pesticides, herbicides and fungicides while maintaining a healthy living landscape
It is the mission of the Davis Cemetery District to provide respectful and affordable interment services that meet the cultural, economic, religious and social needs of the community.
Positions to Be Filled
The Board of Directors is looking for highly-motivated professional to assume the leadership role in this mission-focused organization. The successful individual must possess the skills, sensitivity, and personal confidence to lead the Davis Cemetery District and its staff. Many patrons of the cemetery are either anticipating or reacting to the loss of a loved one.
In accordance with Board policy, the Superintendent is responsible for providing leadership of the Davis Cemetery District, including personnel matters, fiscal oversight, management of operations, Board and community relations, and strategic planning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Hire District staff and perform all personnel related functions to include supervision, training, performance evaluations, and disciplinary actions.
- Review and recommend changes, if needed, to employee benefit packages and salaries.
- Manage day-to-day operations efficiently and ensure compliance with all rules and regulations of the California Health and Safety Code pertaining to public cemeteries.
- Ensure compliance with Board policies. Recommend changes when indicated.
- Communicate with the Board promptly regarding any current or potential violations of California law or Board policy.
- Seek out opportunities to streamline operations and incorporate technology into daily operations.
- Ensure prompt, accurate maintenance of all District records, including financial transactions, interment records, and all other records required by law or Board policy.
- Ensure that cemetery records are backed-up and maintained in a safe place.
- Ensure proper maintenance and upkeep of the grounds and buildings.
- Ensure an up-to-date and proper inventory of all major equipment and supplies; ensure that the equipment is properly maintained.
- Provide fiscal oversight to District operating and capital programs, including the development and management of annual operating and capital budgets. Operating and capital budgets are to be presented to the Board annually for approval.
- Recommend a 5-year Capital Improvements Plan to the Board for approval.
- Ensure that bills are paid promptly and accurately.
- Maintain a positive and professional relationship with the Board of Directors, employees, vendors, and the public.
- Ensure the completion Board meeting packets, including an agenda, fiscal report, analysis of action items,statusof operations, and other information pertinent to Board oversight.
- Seek out innovative cemetery best-practices and incorporate them into daily operations. Use them to inform strategic planning efforts.
- Recommend designs and areas for internment expansions, changes to the pricing structure, and other ideas for innovation.
- Provide back-up to sales and assume other duties as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required:
- College degree, preferably in business or related field
- Excellent communicator and public relations skills
- Experience managing staff and operations, and developing strategic plans
- Knowledge of operating and capital budget planning and oversight
Salary range: $70,000 to $80,000 annually
The Board of Directors is looking for a professional to work under the leadership of the Superintendent, perform management-level functions, and provide District leadership in the Superintendent’s absence. Skills at interacting with those experiencing a personal loss
With minimal supervision, the Assistant Superintendent will manage customer services related to sales, advertising and marketing, community engagement/cultural events, arboretum planning, and daily financial actions. In addition, this position will function as second in charge, and assist the Superintendent with management responsibilities as needed. In the absence of the Superintendent, the incumbent provides leadership to staff and assumes the responsibility of the District’s daily operations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide customer assistance to the public and administrative assistance during internments
- Sell plots and arrange internments
- Maintain and update interment records and maps and ensure electronic back-up of all records
- Manage public relation activities to inform and educate the community about the District
- Market the cemetery and advertise its services
- Manage cultural events and history tours
- Develop plans to maintain and enhance thearboretum
- Maintain and update the District website
- Process deposits and claims, file sales tax returns, and prepare monthly financial reports
- Process and maintain payroll records and employee files
- Provide staff support to the Board of Directors
- Perform management duties assigned by the Superintendent and provide leadership in the Superintendent’s absence
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
College degree, preferably in business, communications, or a related field
Experience in customer relations, sales, or marketing
Strong interpersonal skills
Knowledge of or interest in plants and landscaping
Salary Range: $50,000 to $60,000
Please send a resume and cover letter electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions may be directed to Joan Planell, Interim Superintendent, at 240.623.6201.
Applications received by close of business on Friday, October 5 will receive preference.
A PDF version of the following description can be found Davis Cemetery District job Posting