We are hiring for a Part-time Grounds Maintenance Assistant
5 hours a week Monday-Friday and occasional weekend. 5 Hours of Sick, 5 hours of Vacation and Calpers Retirement (No Medical)
Please apply by bringing in a resume to our office M-F 9-4:00 pm or faxing it to us at (530) 756-7850.
We will be taking resumes until February 9th.
GROUNDS MAINTENANCE ASSISTANT
Under close supervision, performs a variety of general unskilled and semi-skilled grounds and landscape gardening, facilities maintenance and repair work.
The Grounds Maintenance Assistant is a trainee level class in the Grounds Maintenance series. Incumbents in this class are typically seasonal employees and may work on a full or part-time basis.
This classification is distinguished from the Grounds Maintenance Worker I/II in that the latter performs diverse duties that require extensive technical knowledge and independent judgment and discretion. Incumbents must be willing to work irregular hours including weekends and holidays.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plants, fertilizes, trims and prunes shrubs and trees.
- Mows, edges, and waters lawn areas, rakes, sweeps and picks up rubbish, flowers and containers; removes tree stumps.
- Assists with burial tasks such as opening and closing graves using power and hand tools, digging and filling graves and lowering caskets.
- Collects and empties trash, replaces light bulbs and other related maintenance duties.
- Repairs and/or maintains a variety of District facility grounds such as retaining walls, fences, benches, and signs; replaces broken water pipes; paints surfaces and repairs irrigation systems.
- Transports, loads and unloads supplies and equipment.
- Operates power equipment such as mowers, edgers, trimmers, blowers, sweepers, chain saws, and motor vehicles.
- Maintains power equipment and tools; cleans, oils and sharpens clippers, mowers and other equipment.
- Performs janitorial services for District facilities, such as the offices, restrooms and shop area; organizes tools and equipment in the shop area.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent (GED or High School Proficiency Examination).
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITY:
Knowledge of: tools and equipment used in burial work; tools, materials, and equipment used in grounds and facilities maintenance work; basic grounds maintenance and landscaping techniques and methods; irrigation maintenance techniques and methods; basic plumbing and painting practices; safe work practices; safe practices for operating power equipment; safe practices for operating motor vehicles.
Ability to: operate and maintain hand and power equipment and tools used in the landscaping and maintenance of grounds, and related facilities; operate motor vehicles; understand and carry out oral and written instructions; communicate processes and procedures to others; establish effective working relationships with clients and visitors; relate effectively to persons of diverse social and ethnic backgrounds; empathize with the emotional state of others.
ENVIRONMENTAL & FUNCTIONAL FACTORS:
Incumbents in this class are expected to work inside or outside of buildings; to work in the heat or in the cold; to work either alone or closely with others; be able to reach above shoulders; have enough dexterity to manipulate a variety of landscaping or maintenance tools and equipment; be able to move about including bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, reaching, working on irregular surfaces, and kneeling for significant periods of time; be able to hear well; be able to see things up close or far away and have depth perception; to drive a motor vehicle; to frequently lift and carry objects weighing up to fifty pounds; occasionally lift and carry objects weighing more than fifty pounds; work with machinery; work with, around or in water; work on or below the ground; work on irregular surfaces; and work under continued exposure to the sun.